Approvals required

April 2014 Tropical Cyclone Ita and flood recovery works
Post flooding and Tropical Cyclone Ita impacts and fish habitat recovery (PDF, 395.0KB) about repairs and replacement of private and public authorised structures and temporary amendments to self-assessable codes (effective 15 April 2014 - 15 April 2017).

January 2013 Tropical Cyclone Oswald and flood recovery works
Tropical Cyclone Oswald, flood recovery and fish habitats (PDF, 93.1KB) about repairs and replacement of private and public authorised structures and temporary amendments to self-assessable codes (effective 7 February 2013 - 31 January 2017).

January 2011 cyclone and flood recovery works
Flooding events and information for the recovery and impact of fish habitats (PDF, 71.6KB) about repairs and replacement of authorised public structures and temporary amendments to self-assessable codes (effective to 31 October 2015).

Activities that disturb fish habitats may require fisheries development approval under the Sustainable Planning Act 2009 (SPA). A resource allocation authority (a form of resource entitlement) may also be required under the Fisheries Act 1994.

Fisheries development

Aquaculture and disturbance to fish habitats are considered fisheries development, and therefore require a fisheries development approval issued under the SPA and the Integrated Development Assessment System (IDAS).

Activites and categories

Cultivation of fisheries resources for sale, including aquaculture activities of all sizes.
Trimming, pruning, burning, removing or damaging of marine plants for any purpose and on any tenure and marine plants including mangroves, seagrass, saltmarsh and marine algae.
Marine plant disturbance
Temporary and permanent waterway barriers including weirs, dams, culverts and causeways.
Construction or raising of a waterway barrier

Some work, such as the maintenance of existing lawful structures involving marine plant disturbance, temporary waterway barriers or minor aquaculture, may be covered under a self-assessable code, so fisheries development approval is not required.

Approval fact sheets

Resource allocation authorities

If you are planning fisheries development on state land, you need to obtain the state government's consent before submitting a development application.

You need consent in the form of a resource allocation authority (RAA) from Fisheries Queensland for these uses of state resources:

  • tidal aquaculture on unallocated state land (e.g. oyster aquaculture)
  • work in a declared fish habitat area
  • commercial collection of dead marine wood from unallocated state land.

Works covered under a self-assessable code may not require an RAA. Refer to the applicable code for guidance.

Further information

Last updated 16 April 2014