This fish is declared noxious in Queensland. It is unlawful to possess noxious fish alive or dead or to use them as bait. It is illegal to place or release noxious fish alive or dead into Queensland waterways. Penalties of up to $200,000 apply.
- Department of Primary Industries and Fisheries, 2001, Control of Exotic Pest Fishes: An operational strategy for Queensland freshwaters . Queensland Primary Industries and Fisheries, Brisbane.
- Department of Primary Industries and Fisheries, 1997, Fish Guide. Saltwater, Freshwater and Noxious Species. The Great Outdoors Publications, Brisbane
- Eschymer, WN, (1998), Catalog of Fishes. California Academy of Sciences, San Francisco.
- Grant, EM, 1997, Grant's Guide To Fishes. EM Grant Pty Limited, Brisbane
- Merrick, JR and Schmida GE, 1984. Australian Freshwater Fishes: Biology and Management. Griffin Press Limited, South Australia