Under the Land Protection (Pest and Stock Route Management) Act 2002 and Regulation 2003, you are required to obtain a declared pest permit if you want to:

  • introduce
  • feed (declared animal only)
  • keep (except Class 3 - permit not required)
  • release
  • take for commercial use (Class 2 plant only), or
  • supply

a Class 1, 2 or 3 declared pest animal or plant.

Purposes for introducing and keeping declared pests are defined in the Regulation, along with the organisations that may be granted a permit and a list of species which may be approved.

The list of organisations and purposes includes:

  • circus
  • public education
  • public display in magic acts
  • scientific research
  • zoo
  • film or television production
  • game parks
  • biological control
  • commercial use.

When applying for a declared pest permit, the information you provide helps us assess your application. Sometimes supplementary information is needed to assess your application. This process can be simplified by including all the information indicated in the checklist below.


Complete the relevant declared pest permit application form ensuring all fields are filled out and include the application or permit fee. You may be required to provide one or more of the following:

  • a copy of the 'certificate as a registered business'
  • details of cage construction, size, type, height of fencing
  • a copy of the town planning approval from your local council
  • copies of references, resumes or other relevant documents
  • a copy of the contingency or escape plan
  • a copy of public liability insurance.

Note: To arrange additional permits, under some conditions you may need to contact:

Further information

Last updated 09 May 2013